This is quite common; needing to retrain a dog who has already been housebroken. There are many reasons a dog has setbacks, it could be a new addition to the household such as a baby or a kitten, and they start acting out, or you might move home and they become uncertain with their new surrounding and start regressing. Either way it can be tough, but fear not, here are 5 easy to follow tips.
1. Firstly if this does happen you need to accept it and start over from scratch. When needing to know how to retrain a housebroken dog, it’s important to go back to the very beginning, as if house training for the first time.
2. Set a very strict feeding schedule for your dog. Do not “free feed” this will make things worse and let your dog know that no one is really in charge.Always remember to be leader of the pack!
3. Do not allow your dog to roam freely in the house so that you can monitor when he or she needs the bathroom. Keep your dog close to you through out the day or keep crated when you can’t be with him or her.
4. What ever you do DO NOT scold your dog when he or she has made the mistake of using your favorite carpet as a toilet. They will continue to do it but just hide it from you due to fear.
5. Just as you should NEVER scold, you should ALWAYS praise when they get it right. Especially has gone outside to the toilet. Praise is key when it comes to getting your dog back to the good old days.
The above tips will help you and your dog ease back into a happy life, but always go to the vet if things persist.